It was a hot, sunny Friday morning in mid February and I was getting myself and little man ready to head out to swimming class.
I was halfway through our morning routine when I remembered that the dog needed his medication and food before I left, so I headed down to the garage with little man, who was about 15 months old at the time. I thought that I would put him in the car so that he’s out of the way of me working while I was crushing the dog’s tablets.
I wound the window down so that I could see what he’s doing and he could see me. While crushing the dog’s tablets I turned around to check on him and find him trying to climb out the window.
I quickly rushed over and put my arm through the window to wind it up a bit to stop my little escape artist. I pushed the button intending to close it up just a little bit. But the electric window was too fast for me, and my forearm got caught between the glass and the frame. It was caught at such an angle that I could not reach down to push the button to release my arm, nor could I reach far enough through the open door to reach the button.
The garage door was open, but during his play time in the car, little man had gotten a hold of the garage remote and was now closing the door. I finally managed to convince him to give it back to me so that I could reopen the door.
There I stood with my arm stuck in my window, a baby that didn’t understand enough to help me, and my husband was away for work, so I’m all alone. To make matters worse I was still in my pyjamas. Not nice pyjamas but my old stripy, summer dress pyjamas with no bra and bed hair.
So now I am stuck, what to do.
As you would guess by now I was starting to get a little stressed. So I did the only rational thing anyone in this situation would do.
I started screaming for help at the top of my lungs.
HEEELP, HEELP! HELP Me!!!
Luckily the neighbours across the street were home and heard me. She looked out the window and I frantically waved at her with my free arm while still screaming for help!
She sent her husband over, poor man, and another couple from next door came running too. What can I say, I have a loud voice!
Now I had a toddler confused and crying because mommy’s screaming like a lunatic, and some neighbours no doubt in shock at the sight of me in pj’s. Believe me it was’t a pretty sight.
They freed my arm, at which point I started crying, which seems to be my standard response to most things.
The neighbours were really great about it all and left me and little man to calm down and continue getting ready for swimming class. The mark on my arm lasted for a day or so before it disappeared, but I think I have scarred my neighbours for life.
It’s been over a year now since the incident, and I must say we have some pretty awesome neighbours because since then they have helped us out of several other mishaps and close calls.
I guess you could say we are “those’ neighbours.